Collagen is one of those skincare buzz words we hear a lot about when talking about anti-aging – but what exactly is it and why do we need more as we get older?
Angela, one of our Bloom registered nurses explains: “Collagen sustains the firmness and elasticity to the structure of your skin – like the frame of a house. With aging, collagen levels reduce, causing the frame to wrinkle and sag. Maximizing collagen levels as you age will help to slow down aging by keeping your complexion supple, firmer and youthful looking”.
10 fast facts about collagen:
- Collagen is a fibrous protein
- It is the most abundant protein in your body
- It is found in our bones, joints, hair, nails and skin
- It provides firmness and strength. As collagen declines you will get the appearance of aged, wrinkled skin.
- With aging our collagen production decreases, this is why our skin wrinkles
- The dermis layer is made up of 70% collagen
- After the age of 30 your levels of collagen drop 1-2% per year.
- By age 50 you could be down to 20-40% of collagen in your skin
- Lifestyle, diet, genetics and sun exposure play a big role in how fast your collagen levels drop
- Good news – Bloom has a breakthrough collagen therapy treatment with Laser Genesis. This treatment stimulates your collagen production again, slowing down the signs of aging and promoting a healthy, youthful looking complexion.
What does collagen do for your skin?
It is the structural frame for your dermis or the second layer of your skin. It provides padding or cushioning for your skin’s movements. But as we age our collagen production slows – and existing collagen can get damaged due to sun exposure, life style, diet, poor skin care routine and products. The result from reducing collagen is the appearance of aging skin.
Is there a way to counteract the breakdown and stimulate more collagen?
- Yes, with Bloom’s collagen laser therapy. This is a revolutionary laser treatment that stimulates the skin’s natural collagen. Laser genesis (from Cutera) penetrates deep into the cellular layer of the skin which is proven to increase your collagen production giving a smoother, firmer more youthful complexion. At Bloom we recommend collagen laser therapy every 3-6 weeks. Results are more subtle at first, with the benefits from treatment increasing over time as the regenerated collagen grow. Laser Genesis is non-ablative, which means you can have your treatment, apply make-up and carry on with your busy day. This laser treatment can be used on all skin tones. Click here to learn more.
- Vitamin C serum from asap. This product contains 20% vitamin C. It is the ultimate intensive treatment to help form collagen and enhances our laser treatment outcomes. Vitamin C not only help to produce collagen but also to combat oxidative stress- which is a major cause of aging and environmental collagen degradation. We also recommend asap’s Daily Advance moisturizer and Vitamin C serum to compliment our genesis laser treatment.
- UV rays can cause collagen to break down at a faster rate than normal aging. In a nut-shell – sun damaged skin has significantly reduced collagen compared to normal aging skin. We recommend the daily use of Coola sunscreen products. These should be used throughout the day and all year round to protect your collagen and prevent further sun damage.
If you would like to know more about our collagen therapy laser treatment or our vitamin C products contact us today.