Turning back time is seldom easy, but it is never too late to start treating sun damage, brown spots or pigmentation. We asked one of our registered nurses, Angela to recommend three of the most effective products to treat your sun kissed face.
1. SUNSCREEN: Angela says “believe it or not, the first step to reversing old sun damage is to prevent new sun damage”. Staying out of the sun is the best way to avoid sun damage, but this is not realistic. The best ways to avoid the harmful effects of the sun are:
- avoid being out in the sun during the hottest part of the day
- always wear sunscreen.
- re-apply every 2-3 hours
- cover all exposed parts of your body, including your lips, ears and hands
- don’t skimp- always apply generously
- choose a product you like the feel and smell of, you are more likely to to use it.
- wear protective clothing and a sun hat
Sun damage is caused by exposure to UVA rays. Although UVA carries less energy, the rays penetrate into the deeper layers of the skin called the dermis, causing sun damage, sun spots, pigmentation and wrinkles. The bad news is that sun damage is cumulative – which means that it happens over time, starting when you are a child. The results then show up later in life.
Here at Bloom clinic we use (post laser treatment) and recommend daily use, all year round of COOLA sun care products. We stock COOLA products because they have a varied range to choose from (to suit all lifestyles) and because COOLA products guarantee broad-spectrum protection from both UVA and UVB rays. COOLA products will nourish your skin with vitamins and age-defying antioxidants and are certified organic and cruelty free. Better for your skin and better for the environment.
2. VITAMIN C SERUM:
- What is a serum? It is a lightweight moisturiser that does not have the heavier ingredients found in traditional moisturiser. Serums contain a much higher proportional concentration of active ingredients. Angela believes using our OFRA Vitamin C Serum regularly can give your skin a firmer smoother texture, increase moisture levels and help with pigmentation (discolouring of your skin) and scarring because it is the “ultimate intensive treatment” that helps to form collagen. This OFRA serum contains 25% Vitamin C and is suitable for combination, oily skin types or patients with acne. Our therapists and nurses often use the Vitamin C serum following a treatment because it helps to accelerate the results from our laser.
3. Vitamin C Cream: Angela recommends that serums work best with a heavier moisturiser. The OFRA Vitamin C cream is a daily anti-aging moisturiser for dry, normal to combination skin. This cream is filled with rich vitamins to help with simply moisturising your skin daily to re-hydrate sun damaged skin, all whilst providing sun (SPF) protection. The SPF protection makes it more suitable for morning application and for best results we recommend applying the Vitamin C serum first. This product is often used following laser treatments to help accelerate the results from our laser.
If you would like to know more about our products or laser treatments for sun damage, contact us today for a free consultation.