What is Glycolic Acid and why should we use it as part of our acne treatment program? Glycolic Acid is a plant based acid, derived from sugarcane. The word acid can be alarming, but it is very safe when used correctly.
Glycolic Acid is often found in products designed for anti-aging and problem skin, developed by dermatologists . Daily use of Glycolic Acid is the quickest and most painless way to continue the positive benefits of our laser treatments at home.
We answer the questions you need to know
- How does Glycolic Acid work? It acts as a gentle exfoliant, increasing cell turnover for healthier looking and feeling skin.
- Why would I use it? Glycolic acid boosts collagen and elastin production – which is fantastic to combat scarring and anti-aging.
- Is Glycolic harsh on your skin? No. It is a product that can be used daily and from 48 hours (if longer you will be advised post treatment) after Bloom laser treatments.
- Can Glyclolic products be used on all skin types? Yes. It is a great product for all skin types, younger or mature, sensitive or oily. It can be used on most skin tones too.
- Why is Glycolic Acid good for acneic skin?
- It is a great product to used on acneic skin because it accelerates the process of exfoliating dead skin cells , revealing new skin and encouraging new cell growth.
- Glycolic acid can also eliminate the build-up of oils (which acneic skin has too much of – beginning the acne cycle), therefore reducing clogged pores, resulting in less eruptions.
- Glycolic acid has rejuvenating properties helping to make acneic skin smoother and brighter
Glycolic Acid is often combined with another acid, like Salicylic Acid to treat problem skin – like active acne, blackheads or acne scarring
- What is Salicylic Acid? Salicylic acid in a nutshell is a compound found in plants and used in products to treat skin problems. It has long been used by dermatologists to treat acne and breakouts.
- Why is Salicylic Acid used on problem skin? Not only does it help to correct abnormal shedding of cells, but also helps unclog pores, has anti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties and the power to calm and soothe skin irritated by acne.
This combination of acids are able to deeply penetrate the skin due to the fact that they have small molecules, making it a great at-home and ongoing treatment for:
What Glycolic/Salicylic products do we recommend to treat your acne?
We are stockists of the brand Cane and Austin. This brand has been developed by an American dermatologist for people with problem skin and is made in the USA. We have a selection of products to compliment your acne laser treatments.
Contact us today to discuss your problem skin, our laser treatments and our products.